Friday, January 30, 2009

Assignment 1

Assignment tittle: Me, Myself and I

Week 4

What is it about?
To design your name to fit YOU (i.e. personality, character, outlook, strength &
weakness, inner self)


Challenge
The biggest challenge for me is to discover my true SELF.
Since SELF is so complex, there can be so many different representations. Hence, the first thing i did was to find out how others see me and compare their interpretations of me to that of my own. This gives me a head start to work on what truly represents me.


Brainstorming process
Some descriptions which i gathered about myself :

-Cat person/lover
-Reserve
-Gentle
-Friendly
-Joyous
-Traditional
-Unrestricted

Preliminary sketches
After getting a clearer picture about mySELF, the next challenge is how to transform these description about myself to visual form effectively.

1)

*picture to be uploaded

This is a sketch of a clown and a dog doing stunt, it's basically like a circus.

I'm trying to bring across the idea that I'm someone who is always(usually at least) joyous and hopes to bring my joy to the people around me too.:)



2)

*picture to be uploaded

This sketch shows an angry and frustrated person being chained up and weighed down by heavy ball-shaped weights.

The chain symbolises the rules which i have to adhere to and the weights symbolise the stress from school, work, family and society.

I'm trying to convey the idea that I'm someone who dreaded being restricted and would like to break free from these stress.

3)

*picture to be uploaded

This illustration shows a cat and a ball. I'm a cat lover and in fact I behave like cats. I'm nocturnal and like to take my nap in the afternoon. I love to clean myself as much as the cats do too. I can be a bit aloof like the image the cats portray, or playful too. The ball is there to indicate a ting of playfulness in me.


4)

*picture to be uploaded

This is a sketch of the chinese ribbon dance. I try to make it look more artistic by representing the dancer as a s-shaped figure. This is part of my effort to bring put the 'arty' side of me. The chinese ribbon dance is chosen to illustrate that i am culturally-rooted and traditional.


Eventually, I chose the 3rd sketch which is that of a cat and developed it into 2 roughs. I thought that is most representative of me.

A)

*pictures to be uploaded

Basically, I did not change much of the sketch from the preliminary one. I tried to improve the quality of the sketch though. I have also added some colours to it to see if the overall sketch turns out good.


B)

*picture to be uploaded

I did some changes to my 2nd rough. Instead of using the cat's tail to represent the letter 'S', I used the thread from the yarn. The yarn is also used to replace the ball which i have used to represent the letter '0' in the preliminary sketch and rough A.



TUTORIAL 1
 
Time for critics

Basically, the main problem is that the letters are not very prominent. This is definitely a "NO NO" for this assignment since the main criteria for this assignment is the readability/recognitory of the letters which form the name.

For sketch 1 and 2, there seems to be too many clutter, hence the attention for the letters are diverted away.

For sketch 3, the cat needs to be 'rounder' so that it looks like the letter 'O'.
The class seems to like this one the best. :)

Mr Alfred suggested the letter "S" to be part of the ribbon as well in sketch 4.
Gonna try this out~





No comments:

Post a Comment